Re: suffix for packages with (optional?) Python extensions

On Friday, July 13, 2012 11:48:57 AM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2012, at 09:00 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> >can we agree on a common suffix for such¹ packages and add a suggestion
> >to Debian Python Policy?
>
> +1
>
> >I use -ext (python-sqlalchemy-ext) but now I see that there are also
> >-accel (python-reportlab-accel) and -lib (python-guppy-lib)
>
> I suppose I have a mild preference for the -ext shade of bikeshed.

To make sure I understand this ...

For packages with a large mix of arch all Python and arch any extensions, they
could be split into two binaries:

1.  python{3}-foo which is arch all and follows the current naming convention
of foo being the name you import.  It would depend on the arch any python-foo-
ext package.

2.  python{3}-foo-ext which is arch any and Suggests/Recommends (not sure
which) python{3}-foo.

Is that right?

How would this work for packages where the extension is not built on all
architectures?

Scott K