Re: Packaging python-mocker and cloud-init in Debian ?

Le Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:24:34AM -0400, Scott Moser a écrit :

> My goal would be to keep minimal changes from debian to ubuntu, and the
> code there does not cause any issues that i'm aware of if there is no
> readahead installed.  Is there some policy that explicitly calls that out?

For ureadahead in particular, I was worried that it could cause problems as the
package does not exist in Debian.  After reading how diversions work (I never
used them before), it looks like it would be harmless to keep that
Ubuntu-specific code in the package for Debian.

But more in general, I wonder if diversions are the good tool here.

 - In the cloud-init packiage they are used to disable ureadahead.  Isn't
   there a more propre way for package A to disable a service provided
   by package B ?  If ureadahead must never run when cloud-init is
   installed, its upstart job could test if cloud-init is installed and
   exit in that case.  Or, if ureadahead and cloud-init should not be
   installed together, wouldn't a simple Conflicts: statement solve the
   problem ?

 - In the grub-legacy-ec2, diversions are used to take over grub-set-default
   from grub-legacy or grub2-common.  These two packages manage this
   situation by conflicting with each other.  Wouldn't it be simpler to
   also conflict with grub-legacy and grub2-common, or are there situations
   where they should be installed together ?

I am now looking at update-grub-legacy-ec2.  It uses debconf and ucf directly,
wich make the package more complex (and will trigger extra work for the
translations).  It looks like this was carried over from Ubuntu's grub-legacy
package.  Is it still necssary in grub-legacy-ec2's context ?  Otherwise, I
would be tempted to remove that part, in order to simplify the package.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,