Re: How do I add support for python3 to my package?

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:35:04 AM Paul Elliott wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:12:24 AM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > On Apr 18, 2012, at 03:09 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:
> > >I am not a expert python packager. I am dubious about a bunch of cargo
> > >cult packagers all writing seperate but similar debian/rules
> > >complications.
> >
> > That's why I wrote the style guide; hopefully at least we'll converge on
> > one set of (well-documented!) cargo. :)
> >
> > >It seems like one is creating a lot of debugging/maintainance problems.
> > >
> > >Why can not some expert that really know what she is doing write the
> > >neccessary infrastructure so that one could write

> > >I am not an expert and not particularly interested in joining a cargo
> > >cult.
> > >
> > >I think that would be a better way to encourage python3 extensions.
> >
> > As Piotr and Stefano pointed out, multibuild will make many things better.
> > Still, IMHO we should not wait for multibuild to start adding Python 3
> > support to Debian packages.
> >
> > If upstream supports Python 3, I would really love to have that available
> > in Debian asap.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Barry
>
> Well for an interim solution, what is wrong with writting a completely
> seperate source package for the python 3 version, with the intent to
> collapse it into the python2 version when tools become available?
>
> That way I don't have to join a cargo cult.

Alternately you could invest a little time in understanding what Barry's
written up and build both sets of binaries from one source.  This is the usual
method.  A separate source package doesn't make it any easier as it would
still have to build for python3.

Scott K