Re: warning: symbol PyLong_FromUnsignedLong...

Jakub,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> * Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org>, 2012-04-11, 17:43:
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning:
>> debian/python-gdcm/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/_gdcmswig.so
>> contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyObject_IsTrue: it's
>> probably a plugin.
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 86 other similar warnings have been skipped
>> (use -v to see them all).
>

> This one is easy. _gdcmswig.so has a SONAME. This is unusual (and almost
> always unnecessary) for Python extension modules and confuses
> dpkg-shlibdeps. Quoting the manual page: “The indicated symbol has not been
> found in the libraries linked with the binary. The binary is most likely a
> plugin and the symbol is probably provided by the program that loads this
> plugin. In theory a plugin doesn't have any SONAME but this binary does have
> one and as such it could not be clearly identified as such. However the fact
> that the binary is stored in a non-public directory is a strong indication
> that's it's not a normal shared library.”
>
> Get rid of the SONAME and they'll go away.

D'oh ! I was not looking at the right error message. Thanks for spotting this !

>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library
>> name `libKitware.mummy.Runtime.Unmanaged.so'
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library
>> name `libKitware.mummy.Runtime.Unmanaged.so'
>

> I suppose these are about CLI stuff, not about Python stuff.

This is a different issue (or maybe exactly the same). Anyway I'll
deal with it ASAP.

>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol PyLong_FromUnsignedLong used by
>> debian/python-vtkgdcm/usr/lib/libvtkgdcmPythonD.so found in none of
>> the libraries.
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol Py_InitModule4 used by
>> debian/python-vtkgdcm/usr/lib/libvtkgdcmPythonD.so found in none of
>> the libraries.
>

> What is the purpose of this library? I see that
> package-name-doesnt-match-sonames and shlib-without-versioned-soname were
> overridden without a comment.
>
> It doesn't directly address your problem, but:
> - If it's a general-purposed library that is supposed to be used by other
> packages, then it should be versioned, put into a package with versioned
> name, and linked to all the libraries it uses symbols from.
> - Otherwise, it should be moved to a private directory.

The real issue is about SONAME -hopefully- I can then cleanup this file.

thanks much !