Re: qscintilla2: package Python 3 bindings

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:41:32 PM Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 14 March 2012 04:13, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
> > I did have to make some additional changes, such as using a policy
> > compliant
> > binary name in python3, as we did for PyQt4 (python3-pyqt4.qsci) and
> > using dh_sip3 for the python3 package.  You can see the details in the
> > DPMT SVN if
> > you want.
>
> I've been and looked, and it mostly makes sense to me. A couple of
> questions:
>
> Is the policy for binary package names simply to use python3- followed by
> the lowercased name that you'd import?

Yes (or python-* for python packages).  Sometimes due to case issues you've
got no choice but to deviate:

import DNS
python-dns

import dns
python-dnspython

For python-qt4 we decided it was not worth the trouble of a complex transition
to rename it's binaries to be policy compliant.

> You changed the packaging to build for all supported Python 3 versions,
> rather than only the default (although I think only 3.2 is currently
> supported, anyway). I'd originally had it like that, but when I looked at
> the PyQt4 packaging, it was only targeting the default version (py3versions
> -vd), so I followed suit for qscintilla. How do we decide which option to
> use?

python3.2 is the only supported python3 at the moment, so it doesn't affect
things either way.  PyQt4 should be building for all versions too, so I'll go
back and check that.

Scott K

P. S.  I'm subscribed to the list, so no need to cc me.