Re: [Python-modules-team] RFS: py3cairo

(Redirecting this mail to debian-python@, which is a better place to ask for sponsorship.)

* Koichi Akabe <vbkaisetsu@gmail.com>, 2012-03-08, 21:49:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/py3cairo/py3cairo_1.10.0+dfsg-1.dsc

I don't intend to sponsor this package, but here's my quick review:

Please inject the package to the team's repository and set Vcs-{Svn,Browser} fields in debian/control.

${python3:Provides} is evil[0], please don't use it.

Do you really need python3-sphinx? The command line tools are provided by both python-sphinx and python3-sphinx (the former is much more popular) and you don't do anything to ensure that they are actually run with Python 3.X.

Copyright format URI should have a trailing slash.

In line 27 of your copyright file, you have a License field without short license name. This is not allowed.

Please consider using dh_sphinxdoc instead of manually symlinking JavaScript code. dh_sphinxdoc it's more future-proof.

Please build extension modules for all supported Python 3 versions, not only for the default one. (Admittedly, it's not easy to test it, since currently only version is supported.)

Upstream provides a test suite. Please run it at build time (ideally using all supported Python 3 versions).

I saw the following warning in the build log:
| /build/py3cairo-MAlFqY/py3cairo-1.10.0+dfsg/doc/reference/text.rst:44: ERROR: Error in "note" directive:
| invalid option block.

I _think_ the package doesn't respect DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt, but it's hard to tell since the upstream build system doesn't print actual compiling/linking commands (which is another thing you should fix).

Please provide get-orig-source target.

While Developer's Reference and Debian Policy disagree on where should repacking be documented (bug #561494), README.Debian is certainly wrong place. It should be either copyright file or README.source.

I don't quite understand why you mentioned rebuilding Sphinx documentation in README.Debian. It's not something unusual...

[0] Rationale: http://lists.debian.org/20110324164804.GA5919@jwilk.net

--
Jakub Wilk