Re: Python 2.7 for Squeeze?

Hi Miguel, Scott,

> > It looks like python2.7 is easily backporteable to squeeze.

Good news! :)

> > You can take a look at [1]. I rebuilt it without modifications but it
> > probably needs some testing.

I'll test it with virtualenv later.

> > Are you aware that preparing a backport is not an one-time thing, right?
> > If you sign-up for backport maintenance of such widely used package
> > like python2.7, you will have to keep an eye on it during all its lifetime
> > backporting bugfixes and security updates.

Well, if I understood it right, it is mostly recompiling / repackaging
the current stuff from wheezy.

I guess I could do that, although I'ld prefer some experienced DD or
developer using debian would do it (I am using ubuntu on my desktops /
development machines, but I could create some VM, of course).

> > I can help with that but you have to find a DD willing to upload this
> > backport.

OK, any DD here willing to review / help with this?

> Backporting python2.7 by itself probably won't help you that much.  You'll
> also need to backport/update python-defaults

What's "python-defaults"? I could not find a file or package with that
name.

> and then rebuild any third party extensions you need.

I guess I would only care for very few packages, primarily virtualenv.
Because if you have that, you can install what you need into a virtual
env.

Maybe checking whether / how mod-wsgi works with 2.7 would also be
interesting.