Re: Python 2.7 for Squeeze?

On Sunday, October 02, 2011 09:38:37 PM Miguel Landaeta wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public@gmx.de> wrote:
> > So, is anybody working on putting python2.7 into squeeze-backports or do
> > I need to work on that myself? (I don't have much experience with debian
> > packaging / policy, so I could use my time more productively on
> > developping moin - but if nobody else cares, I'ld try to make a package)
>
> It looks like python2.7 is easily backporteable to squeeze.
> You can take a look at [1]. I rebuilt it without modifications but it
> probably needs some testing.
>
> Are you aware that preparing a backport is not an one-time thing, right?
> If you sign-up for backport maintenance of such widely used package
> like python2.7, you will have to keep an eye on it during all its lifetime
> backporting bugfixes and security updates.
>
> I can help with that but you have to find a DD willing to upload this
> backport.

Backporting python2.7 by itself probably won't help you that much.  You'll
also need to backport/update python-defaults and then rebuild any third party
extensions you need.  Depending on what it is you're after, it's a lot more
than just the interpreter backport (which is, by itself, probably not that
hard).

Scott K