Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

Zygmunt Krynicki <zygmunt.krynicki@canonical.com> writes:

> W dniu 15.06.2011 00:04, Barry Warsaw pisze:
>   In Python<  3.3, using
> > setuptools/distribute/distutils2, this should be the standard
> > interface:
> >
> > $ python setup.py test
>
> I would also like this to become the de-facto standard. Can we somehow
> make it happen? (debian policy, python something?)3.3).

AFAICT it *is* the de facto standard. Perhaps you mean that you want it
to be the de jure standard? What change are you wanting on this?

> > Georg (the upstream Sphinx maintainer) makes a good point, which is
> > that he really can't be expected to test Sphinx with any version of
> > jquery than the one he ships. Operating systems (Debian/Ubuntu) are
> > the integrators, and as Jakub points out in that issue, if Debian
> > deviates from upstream by replacing Sphinx's version of jquery, it's
> > incumbent on Debian to ensure it works properly.

I would say it's also incumbent on the jQuery developers to stop
recommending that every application bundle the library leading to
rampant proliferation of different versions and custom patches. But
that's not something that will be fixed within the scope of this
discussion.

> I agree, still, in the end there are only two possible choices:
>
> 1) We stop replacing the bundled jquery and recommend this as best
> practice.

This is highly unlikely to satisfy the policies of the Debian security
team.

> 2) We keep stripping jquery and replacing it with a symlink to
> libjs-jquery but we make the process less cumbersome and manual.

It would be good to work with the jQuery developers in some capacity on
this.

--
 \     “I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now that I should |
  `\           have been more specific.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |