Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

W dniu 15.06.2011 01:06, Yaroslav Halchenko pisze:
ideally I would like to see the helper which would allow (or even by
default would do) to invoke test batteries against just installed  (i.e.
python setup.py install) version of the modules:  in my experience it
helped to avoid various issues of incomplete inclusion of
submodules/data files.

That's different. IHMO you ask for make dist-check AFAIR (my automake-foo is getting old). Testing installed stuff is often harder and not supported as we don't want to include tests in the package (for build-deps vs install-deps). Source layout is also different from installed layout. Some data files required for testing are also not present in the production environment.

Testing that python setup.py sdist output can still run tests is valuable but falls under release management - not packaging.

Best regards
ZK