Re: Python Policy Updates

Hi Jakub (2011.03.24_18:48:04_+0200)
> But you can claim that only if the package depends on the python2.X
> versions of all other modules it requires, even if some of them are
> arch:all!  (The policy doesn't explain this...)

It does say:
| Packaged modules available for one particular version of Python must
| depend on the corresponding pythonX.Y package instead. If they need
| other modules, they must depend on the corresponding pythonX.Y-foo
| packages, and must not depend on any python-foo.

which sort of covers it.

> Such dependencies are annoying for users and makes transitions harder.

More to the point, are they even necessary. When we only provide
something for python 2.6 (when 2.7 is default, before we turf 2.6), that
is a bug, and something to be fixed. If it isn't fixed, the package will
be removed when 2.6 is removed. I don't see how complex
versioned-package-names dependancies help any significant problem here.

> I will leave as an exercise to the reader to check how many packages
> using “Provides: ${python:Provides}” has their dependencies correct.

I should have made that clearer in my last e-mail. Nobody uses them
correctly. Nobody even uses them for their intended reason.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/