Re: Proposal for a Python-related GSoC project

W dniu 23.03.2011 13:41, Francesca Ciceri pisze:
> [please CC me, as I'm not subscribed]
>
> Hi all,
> as you probably have known, also this year Debian has been selected as a
> mentoring organisation for Google Summer of Code.
> Now is the right time to propose projects and apply as mentors, so we can
> catch the best students ;)
> During a brainstorming about possible project, Lars Wirzenius has proposed a
> Python one, so here I am.
> Let me quote directly his proposal:
>
> <  liw>  how about something like dh-make-perl but for python's pypi?
> i.e., take a package from pypi (the python package inventory) and
> make a rudimentary debian package out of it, automatically?

You might be interested to learn more about pkgme (https://launchpad.net/pkgme). It is designed as a generic shell for various packaging plugins. One of the first plugins that AFAIK was created was one that creates proper packaging for python+distutils.

I'm CCing upstream author (James Westby) perhaps he would be interested to know more about this.

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki