Re: E: dh_python2:146: you most probably have to build extension for python2.5.

[Ludovic Rousseau, 2011-03-10]
> But I now get a warning and an error (complete log attached):
> [...]
>    dh_python2
> W: dh_python2:94: Python 2.6 should install files in
> /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/. Did you forget
> "--install-layout=deb"?
> E: dh_python2:146: you most probably have to build extension for python2.5.
> make: *** [binary] Error 12

if you install public modules for one Python version only, but
X-Python-Version suggests this module supports at least one more
currently supported Python version, dh_python2 tries to use installed
files for other Python versions. If it's not possible, f.e. because
all installed modules contain extensions (which cannot be shared and I
don't know if given extension is optional or not), dh_python2 will fail
with this error message.

I consider this an improvement over dh_pycentral/dh_pysupport because I
think it's better to FTBFS rather than detect such problems at runtime.

BTW: dh_python2 from experimental, when invoked with verbose option
(DH_VERBOSE=1 or --verbose/-v) will print this message:

| possible solutions are: building for all supported Python versions
| (`pyversions -vr`); adjusting X-Python-Version field; passing
| --no-guessing-versions to dh_python2

please propose a better one if it's not clear