Re: Switching to git

On Mar 06, 2011, at 08:55 PM, Arto Jantunen wrote:

>I used to choose tools based on the language they are implemented in, I
>justified it with the old "it needs to be in a language I know/like in
>case I need to modify it or fix bugs in it" excuse. Since then I learned
>my lesson and, unless I'm specifically planning to modify a certain
>component, the language it is implemented in does not matter (except for
>cases where I have a fanatical aversion to the language, but I really
>can't recommend adopting this mental ilness as a policy).

I rarely intend to go modifying most of the packages I do dabble in, but it
often turns out that way anyway.  That's the beauty of open source.  And even
though I *can* hack in many languages, doesn't mean I *want* to :).

>In the specific case of a project implementing a programming language I
>can understand the PR advantages of being able to claim to be "self
>hosting" by using a VCS implemented in that language. As I understand
>it, this was a major concern for upstream Python, but I don't think that
>point concerns the Debian python team.
>
>> One reason could be that git is the de-facto standard for Debian.  I guess
>> choice of dVCS is the editor-wars of the 2010s, and probably just as silly.
>
>The difference of course being that the editor a person uses does not
>concern anyone else in any way (text written in emacs works just fine in
>vim), but the VCS a person/team uses concerns a lot of people in a lot
>of ways. Most VCS client tools can't deal with the repo formats used by
>the other tools (and even in those cases where they can there are always
>limitations). Nobody wants to waste time learning the quirks of every
>possible VCS client.

The reality is, if you're going to interact with lots of upstreams, you pretty
much have to know svn, cvs, git, bzr, and hg -- or at least be proficient
enough to do the basics.

-Barry