Re: Build-time testing

FWIW I usually prefer to run unittests against (PYTHONPATH)
installed (debian/tmp/... if with extensions to be moved into -lib, or
debian/python-X/... for pure Python module) version  to make sure that
everything got installed correctly.  Also, if not too lengthy, I run
unittests against all supported Python versions.

Altogether,  it does make things a bit more "cumbersome" but  more
reliable.

Examples:
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-exppsy/brian.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=debian/rules
https://github.com/neurodebian/dipy/blob/HEAD/debian/rules

on a related note, more I hit it:
- I set $HOME to point to build/, and at times MPLCONFIGDIR=$(HOME)
  where I

  echo "backend : Agg" >| $(MPLCONFIGDIR)/matplotlibrc

  to assure consistent matplotlib backend if graphics are built during
  documentation generation

And indeed, written recommendations would be nice ;)