Re: Package for multiple Python versions

Hi!

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Christian Kastner <debian@kvr.at> wrote:
> The reason for this is that your build environment affects the resulting
> binary package in various ways, one of them being the generated
> dependencies, which is why you are seeing strange things below.

Sure. But then I cannot have one package to cover them all? Like one
.deb file people could install everywhere and things would work? So
with dependencies on major versions.

I made some tests and it seems it should be enough to have Python 2.6
as lower bound, not necessary so precise as dh_python2 helper makes
it.

I now made an ugly hack to fix this. ;-) Before dh_gencontrol I run:

# We make dependencies less strict
perl -i -p -e 's/(, )?python \(>= ([^.\)]+\.[^.)]+)\.[^)]+\)/$1python
(>= $2)/g' $(CURDIR)/debian/$@.substvars

# Require at least one version of libpython, not all of them; we move
all of them to Recommends
perl -n -e 'if (/^shlibs:Depends=.*?(libpython[^,]+(?:,
libpython[^,]+)*)/) { print "shlibs:Recommends=$1\n" }'
$(CURDIR)/debian/$@.substvars >> $(CURDIR)/debian/$@.substvars
perl -i -p -e '1 while s/^(shlibs:Depends=.*?)(libpython[^,]+),
(libpython[^,]+)/$1$2 | $3/g' $(CURDIR)/debian/$@.substvars

> I wanted to give the build a brief look but your package FTBFS in
> unstable due to a missing OpenGL-related build dependency, could you check?

Strange. I am just working on that and it compiles OK on stable? What
exactly is missing?

Mitar