Re: restarting processes when python libraries are upgraded?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:59:44AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 10:50 AM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:51:30AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> >> Since python doesn't keep .py files open its hard to use things like
> >> checkrestart to find out which servers to restart when upgrading a
> >> python library for security updates. I wonder if a dpkg triggers based
> >> mechanism could perform this function. Any thoughts?
> >
> > For packaged Python stuff, surely dependencies give sufficient
> > indication of what may need restarting?
>
> Not necessarily. Some packages have dependencies which are only used by
> a part of the modules in the package, or they have recommended packages
> which are installed but not used by your daemon... and so on.

Restart them anyway. A proper daemon will deal with restarted gracefully
and the rest can't be helped. Security upgrades are rare enough,
hopefully, that this won't be a frequent problem.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/