Re: Problems with python-central+cdbs -> dh_python2+cdbs

Hi Barry,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:44:13PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with the instructions on converting from
> python-central to dh_python2 while retaining cdbs.

> http://wiki.debian.org/Python/PyCentral2DhPython2

> I see that Steve just added another hint, but that didn't help me much.  I'm
> proofing the instructions with lp:ubuntu-system-services but I see that Martin
> Pitt completed the conversion of that package while I was asleep. ;)

> Now, Martin did exactly how I was able to successfully convert the package,
> but that entailed *also* converting from cdbs to dh7.  In my experience,
> those two go hand-in-hand, and in fact it's usually pretty easy and successful
> to convert to dh_python2+dh7.  The problem I've had is with *just* converting
> to dh_python2 but keeping cdbs.  I think the instructions on the wiki page are
> not complete, or not correct.

> When I look at the resulting package contents, the dh_python2+cdbs version is
> woefully lacking.  It doesn't contain any pyshared or UbuntuSystemServices
> package.  Even adding

> DEB_PYTHON2_MODULE_PACKAGES="UbuntuSystemService"

Did you try with:

  DEB_PYTHON2_MODULE_PACKAGES = ubuntu-system-service

?

This is a list of Debian package names, not python package names.  If cdbs
isn't explicitly told about the packages it should run on, it doesn't run
setup.py at all.

> Any suggestions are welcome.  Or, if you have an example diff showing the
> conversion of a python-central+cdbs package to dh_python2+cdbs, I would love
> to see it.

I don't have an example, because my test case also got converted from cdbs
to dh(1) in the middle of the night ;-)