Re: About the file structure

Hi ProgVal (2011.04.26_09:52:56_+0200)
> I don't really understand the logic of the Python packages, modules,
> and software.

Not surprising, it's complex :) There are 3 different helpers in common
use (one of which is deprecated), but we'd like to get it down to 1.
Then there are packages which don't use a helper, and just try to follow
the policy.

dh_python2: the new helper, hopefully the only only one in the future.
python-support: the most popular helper.
python-central: deprecated in favour of dh_python2.

> Most of them are installed in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages/, as
> the Debian Python Policy says.

You'll normally find symlinks to the .py files there, and the .pyc
files (which differ between python versions). Also, C extensions (.so),
which are also python version specific.

dh_python2 includes these symlinks in the package.
python-support builds these symlink farms on installation.
python-central also builds the symlink farm on installation, but *can*
include them in the package too.

> Many of them are in /usr/pyshared/pythonX.Y/ (such as PyQt4)

That's how dh_python2 and python-support handle files that differ
between versions of python, such as C extensions.

> Some others are in /usr/share/python-support/ (such as python-git).

Now python-support's per-package configuration files go there. In the
past (pre 0.90) this was where the .py files lived.

> And there are also packages in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/, such
> as Gwibber, but I think it is a packaging mistake.

We switched to dist-packages in Python 2.6. 2.5 still uses
site-packages.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera