Re: [Python-modules-team] Dependencies for python2.6-only packages (best practice)

* Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>, 2011-01-19, 23:04:
In the case of importlib, it's inclusion in upstream python started with 2.7 but I'd like to provide the backport for at least 2.6.

python-support translates "XS-Python-Version: 2.5,2.6" into "python (<< 2.7)" for ${python:Depends}, so once 2.7 becomes the default for Debian, importlib would no be installable for python2.6.

Matthias Klose came up with patching ${python:Depends} during build. After a conversation with Sandro Tosi we came up with omitting ${python:Depends} and defining the dependencies manually like this: "python2.6 | python2.5".

IMO both solutions are perfectly acceptable.

Is there a better way to do this with python-support?

I don't think so.

And as a accompanying question: Does it make sense to still support python2.5?

If it doesn't cost you much, why not?

--
Jakub Wilk