Re: Wheezy plans

On 10/15/2010 11:45 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> FYI: [I already mentioned that on #debian-python and in other places,
> but it deserves a mail to debian-python as well]
>
> I think that we should support Python 2.7 and Python 3.2 only in Wheezy.

Full ack.

> [...]

> I want the next transition to have two goals: drop Python 2.6 from a
> list of supported Python versions and... drop python-central and
> python-support. Yep, once Python 2.7 will be the only (and last!) Python
> 2.X version supported in Debian, I want to go back to the roots and use
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages in every package (see my dh_python2
> mails for advantages).
>
> Transition from python-central to dh_python2 (which doesn't create
> symlinks at install time, like pycentral and pysupport do) will be easy;
> converting from python-support will be more tricky (f.e. due to
> namespace feature), I will provide dh_pysupport wrapper if my proposal
> will be accepted (it's obviously a sensitive topic, so I'm raising it
> now and not after releasing Squeeze).

I'm wondering if we really need a dh_pysupport wrapper or if we should just fix
the packages instead. And easier transition would be to provide dh_pycentral and
ph_pysupport wrappers which just do the right thing, together with a lintian
error telling people that they need to fix their packages. And of course upload
transitional -central and -support packages.

Cheers,

Bernd