Re: Untrusted search path vulnerabilities

* Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>, 2010-11-17, 23:37:
Any volunteers to file bugs? :)

I'll do that tomorrow, if no-one beats me.

Thanks.

Severity? grave for the vulnerable packages, important for the others?

I think so.

in this case, was release team already contacted about that? I don't
think this mini-RC-MBF would make them happy

I didn't contact RT. It certainly won't make them happy, but also there's not much they can do about that.

Also, just to give some advice to the maints: the correct approach
here is to check if PYTHONPATH is set before (blindly) append it to
PYTHONPATH - or is there something else to do?

You can use something like:

PYTHONPATH=/spam/eggs${PYTHONPATH:+:$PYTHONPATH}

(If you don't known this construct, grep for "Use Alternative Value" in the bash/dash manpage.)

Also, in cases like

    PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH

or

    PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$SPAMDIR
    exec python $SPAMDIR/spam.py

you shouldn't need to touch PYTHONPATH at all.

--
Jakub Wilk