Re: Fw: Python packaging, dependencies, upstream facilities

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 at 10:30:33 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> I'm not sure we should try to solve this. IMHO we should try to convince
> upstreams that breaking API/ABI so often is a bad thing instead.

... and that when they do, they need to rename the module with a version
number, just like C upstreams do (in Python that'd mean something like:
from foo import bar -> from foo2 import bar).
<http://ometer.com/parallel.html>

> I see only one sane way to fix the problem - changing Python interpreter
> to recognize API from filenames, like foo.1.py foo.2.py foo.2.3.py
> (with `import foo <= 2` as valid syntax) and let upstream authors decide
> when to bump it, just like C guys do, but that's a topic for
> python-devel mailing list...

If upstreams are going to do this, surely they could do so just as effectively
without interpreter changes, by versioning the imported module?