Re: Fw: Python packaging, dependencies, upstream facilities

[Piotr Ożarowski, 2010-09-21]
> [Robert Collins, 2010-09-20]
> > Path to a solution: use an API marker analgous to the ABI markers C
> > libraries have. Incompatible changes to a package bump the package
> > *name*. e.g.
> > python-zope.publication2.3 to python-zope.publication2.4
> > Compatible changes don't:
> > python-zope.publication2.3-2.3.0ubuntu0 to
> > python-zope.publication2.3-2.3.1ubuntu0

oh, I forgot to mention that we have PyDist¹ to control generated
dependencies (example: packages that build depend on python-numpy or
python-sqlalchemy will get API hardcoded in Depends if they use
dh_python{2,3} or dh_numpy) but that's not exactly what you want.

[¹] /usr/share/doc/python-doc/README.PyDist.html or
http://alioth.debian.org/scm/loggerhead/pkg-python/python-defaults-debian/annotate/head:/pydist/README.PyDist