Re: Python3 experimental packages with destination squeeze

On Fr, 2010-09-17 at 13:09 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Julian Andres Klode, 2010-09-17]
> > The python-apt package provides python3-apt, I see no reason in adding a
> > new package here.
>
> how about this one: on my phone, I want to install application written
> in Python 3 that uses apt module, after installing python3-apt package,
> I suddenly have python2 and my SD card is almost full. What should I do?
Buy a larger phone/SD.

> > Given that we already have py3k support in the
> > python-apt package, we would need to depend on python3-apt anyway, so
> > adding a separate package is not useful.
>
> it is, see above
No

> > I am in general not happy about the decision to treat python3 as totally
> > separate from python. The first python3 releases in experimental were
> > just a normal new version (with some exceptions), now it's like a
> > completely different language; resulting in hacking the build system to
> > get things work correctly that worked perfectly well in the beginning.
>
> please join us, add Python 3 support to python-central and
> python-support (warning: you cannot share files with python2), fix all
> upgrade problems we currently have with both of them, design it in a way
> that 3rd party module authors will not complain and make it easy to
> developers who package Python occasionally (i.e. will not ask you about
> pyshared every week) and we'll love you :-)
python-apt uses python-central for python 3 and it works. I don't see
why Python 3 has to be handled different:  You diff all files with the
same name, if the content is equal, the file is shared; otherwise you
keep it in a per-version directory.

In my opinion all the changes just made packaging python 3 modules
harder. In the beginning, you added 3.1 to your list of python versions
and were done. Now, you need a new field, create a pyversions wrapper
script that calls pyversions and py3versions and manipulate PATH to use
it. I can't see how that's easier.

I should also add that in python-apt, setup.py and tests/*.py are
compatible to Python 2 and 3, so the build does:

	python2.X setup.py ...
	python3.X setup.py ...
	python2.X tests/test_all.py ...
	python3.X tests/test_all.py ...

And python-apt has Python 3 support since April 2009, and problems only
started when all those python3 changes started late this year.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.