Re: Documenting Python Debuntuisms

 Barry> We had a report in upstream Python from a user who was trying to
 Barry> find information about dist-packages. He did a Google search and
 Barry> didn't find any definitive official explanation of this
 Barry> Debuntuism. His suggestion was to add a note to the official
 Barry> Python documentation, but that doesn't seem quite right to me.

Yes, that is a common question people have when they want to know how
exactly things are handled in Debian. It was the same for me so I
created

http://www.markus-gattol.name/ws/python.html#why_has_debian_dist-packages_directories

 Barry> I think it would be better to have official documentation on
 Barry> wiki.debian.org[1] about issues of interest to Python developers
 Barry> on Debian and Ubuntu. This would be a user-oriented set of
 Barry> pages, not a developer set of pages. Things like dist-packages
 Barry> and probably that python-setuptools gives you distribute would
 Barry> be two things to start with.

I totally agree, those are the two things everybody who looks at how
Debian does Python has several of his "ok, all right" moments.