Re: RFH: Debugging symbols of pyside

Hi Bernd and Yaroslav, hi again debian-python,

So, if I summarize:

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 04:34 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>> AFAIK:
>>
>> - regular python build symbols files are useful for anyone willing to
>>   troubleshoot the problem which is not too complicated and he wouldn't
>>   need to explore the state of Python at the troublesome moment.

i) the stripped symbols from the standard build are important.

>> - _d* files for python*-dbg are extremely useful if someone needs to
>>   triage the problem which cannot be easily comprehended by just looking
>>   at the stack of compiled extension.  Then various tricks (Python's
>>   ./Misc/gdbinit, or new way ./Tools/gdb/libpython.py) allow much easier
>>   bug/problem triage in Python extensions using debug build of Python

ii) the "pythonic debug build" is important.

> also - and that is the much more important imho part for pyside - if you
> want to run something else in the debug interpreter which uses pyside, you
> need the _d build of pyside, too.

AFAIK, that's what I am doing:

$ dpkg -L python-pyside-dbg | grep QtCore
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/PySide/QtCore.so
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.5/PySide/QtCore.so
/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/PySide/QtCore_d.so
/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.5/PySide/QtCore_d.so

First two are the stripped symbols (i) and the latter two are the _d build
(again, as far as I can tell).

So thank you both for your answers: it seems I'm doing the right thing.

The remaining question being: should I strip the _d build (right now I
don't) ?

Cheers,

OdyX