RFH: Debugging symbols of pyside

(This was sent on python-modules-team, but it seems not many are reading, so
re-sending on d-python.)

Hi,

My python knowledge being too sparse, I need some help from you: Following
up bug #586305, with the intention to answer properly to waldi's question
and hopefully get pyside built on s390.

> All the builds are done with -g, aka with debugging symbols. Why the
> need for extra builds?

== The question ==

Is it necessary to build the compiled modules in two flavours for each
supported version?

The problem is that it needs huge disk space and build time ("Build needed
02:33:04, 4149920k disc space" on i386), for an unclear win.

== How it's actually done ==

Actually, PySide is built twice per supported version:

i) aimed towards the standard python headers and interpreter, with -g. The
debug symbols are stripped and put to python-pyside-dbg.

ii) aimed towards the debug python headers and interpreter, with -g and -
DPy_DEBUG. The built binaries are postfixed with _d and unstripped; they
are
also put to python-pyside-dbg.

This allows to use the PySide with both the standard interpreter (thus not
needing the -dbg package) and the debug interpreter (using the binaries
build in ii), shipped in the -dbg package).

* Hence, what are the stripped symbols from i) useful for ?
* Is the ii) build useful ?

Is there something I could do to reduce the build size needed ?

Thanks in advance and cheers,

OdyX