Re: XS-Python-Version: "current" fix (was: Re: RFS: deejayd (updated package))

* Alexandre Rossi <alexandre.rossi@gmail.com>, 2010-06-23, 10:53:
The current version of my package does not launch in unstable
following the switch of the current python version. I think it is
because of the "current" keyword in the "XS-Python-Version" tag. A
rebuild fixes the problem.

Is this appropriate fix?
-XS-Python-Version: current, >= 2.4
+XS-Python-Version: >= 2.4, << 3.0

Please don't add "<< 3.0". While we didn't agree yet how to specify 3.0 version, there's consensus that is should be explicit, i.e. >= 2.4 will continue to contain only 2.* series.

While "current" is frowned upon[0], this is not what caused your package breakage. The culprit it that scripts have #!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y shebangs - if they were unversioned, the package would continue to work with new Python.

How do I fix this? Upload new fixed version and seek a sponsor?

Yes.

Request a rebuild in some way (is that possible for arch: all packages?)?

No, it's not possible.

[0] Either your Python modules are intended for general use - then they should be bytecompiled with all supported version; or they are not - then they should be put into a private directory.

--
Jakub Wilk