Re: How to properly provide packages for python3.x

[Jakub Wilk, 2010-04-14]
> * Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>, 2010-04-14, 07:20:
>> I've seen that some modules/extensions are starting to ship
>> python3-<mod> packages, thus allowing to be installed for python3.x
>> interpreter. Well, I didn't see a discussion about that so I'm
>> starting one right away.
>>
>> In particular I'd want to ask:
>>
>> - was there a discussion and I simply don't remember about it?
>
> I don't think there was.

nobody protested back then (hope it wasn't due to misleading
Subject/In-Reply-To headers)

>> - do the python helper tools support python3 packages?

Few weeks ago I started working on new dh_python that will support
PEP3147 (but also python2.X for those who will decide to use my helper
tool in Squeeze), but I was slowed down due to personal reasons.

Some things changed since my last dh_python mail (due to PEP3147), you
can guess some of them from pycompile[1] and pyclean[2] which are mostly
ready. Matthias will include them in python package (and backport my
tiny py_compile.py change[3] which was accepted upstream (thanks
Barry)).

[1] http://people.debian.org/~piotr/pycompile
[2] http://people.debian.org/~piotr/pyclean
[3] http://bugs.python.org/issue8233

>> - how to do that properly? simply build with python3.x and then ship
>> the /usr/lib/python3.x/<mod> dir?

I hope we'll use

	/usr/lib/python3/<mod>

or paths like:

	/usr/lib/python3/-3.2/foo
	/usr/lib/python3/foo/3.2-3.4/bar.py

only, but for now[5] the only one that works is:

	/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/<mod>

[4] almost ready in pycompile, still waiting for
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0382/ (and 3147), though

I used these maintainer scripts in my python3-sqlalchemy package:
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/python-modules/packages/sqlalchemy/trunk/debian/python3-sqlalchemy.postinst?revision=12597
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/python-modules/packages/sqlalchemy/trunk/debian/python3-sqlalchemy.prerm?revision=12597

unfortunately python3.1 is hardcoded for as it's not in supported
versions yet