Re: How to properly provide packages for python3.x

* Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org>, 2010-04-14, 07:20:
I've seen that some modules/extensions are starting to ship
python3-<mod> packages, thus allowing to be installed for python3.x
interpreter. Well, I didn't see a discussion about that so I'm
starting one right away.

In particular I'd want to ask:

- was there a discussion and I simply don't remember about it?

I don't think there was.

- do the python helper tools support python3 packages?

python-central seems to have some (at least rudimentary) support for 3.X.

I was told that python-support does not support 3.X (see bug #573560).

- how to do that properly? simply build with python3.x and then ship
the /usr/lib/python3.x/<mod> dir?

s|python3.x|python3.x/dist-packages|

However, that would be wrong for pure-Python modules. If root imports such a module, it will be byte-compiled, but then *.pyc won't be removed on purge.

On the other hand, almost the same can be said about modules for 2.X (even when managed by python-{central,support}): if root imports one with -O, .pyo will be created but never removed.

- shouldn't we just try to organize how to do that before creating
such packages and then impose their structure/method because "we are
already doing it this way" (in particular because the python
maintainer was the first to ship py3 mod/ext for his packages)?

We should.

--
Jakub Wilk