Re: RC severity for Python 2.6 related bugs

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 16:13, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> I absolutely agree with this (even though, for those packages that
>> byte-compile the files they install, it's a smaller problem) and I
>> fear there are several situations where there are hidden bugs only
>> discovered with (long) *usage* of a system with 2.6 as default:
>> waiting to do the switch, doesn't help to release a better squeeze,
>> only a worst and buggier one.
> Well, to catch those we have an extended army of beta-testers:
> users of recent Ubuntu releases with 2.6 as default -- for me they
> managed to hit 2.6 issues with fail2ban so upstream could resolve them
> promptly year(s) before 2.6 to become the default in Debian ;)

yeah, because our beloved python maintainer did the switch in Ubuntu
first, instead of in Debian (and ah, right after 9.04 freeze started,
releasing a mess, still present in 9.10))

> So, it might be worth for python package maintainers to have a peek at
> their packages in Ubuntu to see if they got something fixed without
> reporting upstream/

but I'd like to remember to critically (in the positive sense) review
the patches and only apply them if they are worth: there were several
clueless patches to fix 2.6 bugs.

>> Additionally, as a side note, unstable is "unstable" by definition:
>> its users knows it, and if something breaks in it, it will either be
>> fixed or not in stable, so "break users apps" problem is less
>> appealing (even though it exists).
> although I totally agree with description of 'unstable', in reality, the
> path from unstable into stable, closer to freeze it is, is shorter --
> just 10 days to migrate from unstable into testing.  For the packages
> with low users count it becomes more important since it becomes unlikely
> that an important bug would get detected that rapidly.... So....
> lets switch to 2.6 now so we have more time!

Exactly my point.

Regards,