Re: RC severity for Python 2.6 related bugs

* Jonathan Wiltshire (debian@jwiltshire.org.uk) [100228 17:19]:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 04:46:09PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le dimanche 28 février 2010 à 15:29 +0100, Vincent Bernat a écrit :
> > > It would be far  easier to let Python 2.6 be the  default, then file (or
> > > upgrade) serious  bugs and solve them in  a week or two.
> >
> > Yeah sure, let’s knowingly break dozens of packages by switching instead
> > of fixing them before and make it painless for users.
>
> I think we need to do both before we end up running out of time. I
> propose that we upgrade/file bugs as serious so that they get maintainer
> attention where possible, and allow (let's say) 7 days to react.
>
> After this time, Python 2.6 should become default in sid and all such bugs
> are NMU candidates. If nothing else gets maintainer's attention, this will.

Such bugs *are* as of today NMU candidates, if they are marked
important or serious and have an working patch for longer than 7 days.

Switching the default should be done when it's ready. Switching the
default too early will only increase work load but doesn't allow us to
reach the goal earlier.

Trust us, we want to see python2.6 as default in squeeze. This however
only works step by step.

Cheers,
Andi