Re: direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system foo.egg-info/SOURCES.txt

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Adam <Adam.Schmalhofer@gmx.de> writes:
>

>> I think "setup.py clean" (which gets called by dh_auto_clean) really
>> should just delete SOURCES.txt. I just filed a bug upstream against
>> python-distribute:
>>
>> http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/122/setuppy-clean-should-delete-sourcestxt
>
> I disagree; the ‘SOURCES.txt’ file is distributed as source, so
> automatically deleting that file is too much magic. Rather, the build
> process should not modify the source files at all.

This seems to me to be the same situation as files like configure,
generated Makefiles, and so on; the build process should regenerate
the generated files, and ideally the files that are (re)generated by
the build process would not be shipped by upstream at all.