Re: RFS: openshot

Paul,
Thanks for the feedback!  I will try and resolve the issues you have
pointed out.

> python-mlt is not available in Debian or Ubuntu, best remove it from
> the depends.

python-mlt2 is now included in the libmlt2 source package, in Debian unstable:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libmlt2

> Will you also be packaging openshot-docs?

Yes, but I'm trying to focus on the "openshot" package first.  If I
knew what I was doing, I suppose I would somehow package them
together. =)

> Your Standards-Version is out of date, please read the
> upgrading-checklist.txt.gz from debian-policy to find out what you
> need to change to upgrade it.

Not sure what this is, so I'll do some research and try and fix it.

> Please install the latest version of lintian from Debian sid, build
> your package and run this command on the resulting .changes file:
>
> lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
> --show-overrides --checksums --color auto foo.changes

Will do.  Thanks.

> You are installing the desktop file and icon in the wrong locations,
> please use /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps or the
> appropriate directory; /usr/share/icons/hicolor/<res>/apps/.

Will do.

> I have the feeling you are doing something very wrong with the
> maintainer scripts, can you describe what they are for?

These were created by someone else, who was trying to help me package
"openshot".  I will remove them, if they have no purpose.

> Your orig.tar.gz ships with some binary *.pyc files, it should not do
> that. I think using ./setup.py sdist would do the right thing here,
> please use it in future.

Will do.

> The Glade format and library is obsolete, please switch to GtkBuilder.
> IIRC you can do this by opening the files in glade-3 and saving them
> as GtkBuilder format.

I am in the process of replacing Glade with GtkBuilder at the moment.
Should be done soon.  Hopefully.

> There are a lot of images and architecture-independent files, you
> should probably split them out into a -common or -data package.

In fact, the entire source tree is architecture independent.

> Why are you shipping precompiled .mo files in a source package? The
> .po files should be present at the very least and probably the .mo
> file should not be present.

The gettext library needs the MO files, which is why I compiled the PO
files in the first place.  i suppose I could compile them on the fly,
and only package the PO files.  I'll look into this.

> If you are using any embedded code copies, please remove them and
> package them separately.

Not that I am aware of.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  You are the first person who has
offered any real advice to me.  Now, if I can just find a Debian
sponsor. =)

-Jonathan