Re: RFS: openshot

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Jonathan Thomas
<jonathan.oomph@gmail.com> wrote:

> openshot   - Non Linear Video Editor using Python and MLT

I'm not sponsoring new packages at the moment, but here are some
comments on your source package:

You should use the shlibs mechanism to resolve dependencies to
libraries instead of hardcoding them. libgoocanvas3 in particular.
However, you already depend on python-pygoocanvas so I imagine that
will pull in libgoocanvas3 which will pull in libgoocanvas-common.

python-mlt is not available in Debian or Ubuntu, best remove it from
the depends.

Will you also be packaging openshot-docs?

Your Standards-Version is out of date, please read the
upgrading-checklist.txt.gz from debian-policy to find out what you
need to change to upgrade it.

Please install the latest version of lintian from Debian sid, build
your package and run this command on the resulting .changes file:

lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
--show-overrides --checksums --color auto foo.changes

You are installing the desktop file and icon in the wrong locations,
please use /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps or the
appropriate directory; /usr/share/icons/hicolor/<res>/apps/.

I have the feeling you are doing something very wrong with the
maintainer scripts, can you describe what they are for?

Your orig.tar.gz ships with some binary *.pyc files, it should not do
that. I think using ./setup.py sdist would do the right thing here,
please use it in future.

The Glade format and library is obsolete, please switch to GtkBuilder.
IIRC you can do this by opening the files in glade-3 and saving them
as GtkBuilder format.

There are a lot of images and architecture-independent files, you
should probably split them out into a -common or -data package.

Why are you shipping precompiled .mo files in a source package? The
.po files should be present at the very least and probably the .mo
file should not be present.

If you are using any embedded code copies, please remove them and
package them separately.

Some tips for being a good upstream project:

http://wiki.debian.org/GettingPackaged

--
bye,
pabs