Re: Lintian warnings for Python packaging?

Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org> writes:

> I propose a non comprehensive list of tags I'd like to see available:

Thank you, I think this is a good start.

> * E: Don't hard-code {site,dist}-packages
> * E: Python files in incorrect python2.?/{site,dist}-packages
> directory
> * W: Build extension for every supported Python version
> * I: Place Python applications in private directory

What would be the test for these cases? That is, what would Lintian
actually check in the package to determine whether these should be
emitted?

> * W: Arch: all package but build-dependency on python*-dev

Is there a converse for this, for ‘Architecture: any’ packages?

> * I: python-support and XB-Python-Version field

As I understand it, many people are dealing with the lack of clear
policy in this matter by having *both* ‘debian/pyversions’ file and the
‘XB-Python-Version’ field.

Until there is clear consensus that ‘XB-Python-Version’ is *not*
required, I would not want Lintian to check this.

> * W: #!/usr/bin/env python as shebang for Python scripts
> * I: No dh_python but pycompat file available
> * P: Python extension but no -dbg package

Good.

--
 \         “In any great organization it is far, far safer to be wrong |
  `\          with the majority than to be right alone.” —John Kenneth |