Re: Lintian warnings for Python packaging?

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 00:54:04 +0100 Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>
wrote:
>Currently, Lintian supports dozen of tags [1], but very few strictly
>related to Python packaging. I think maintainers and sponsors would
>benefit a lot if some common mistakes and suggestions are automatically
>displayed by Lintian.
>
>I propose a non comprehensive list of tags I'd like to see available:
>* E: Don't hard-code {site,dist}-packages
>* E: Python files in incorrect python2.?/{site,dist}-packages directory
>* W: Build extension for every supported Python version
>* W: Arch: all package but build-dependency on python*-dev
>* W: #!/usr/bin/env python as shebang for Python scripts
>* I: python-support and XB-Python-Version field
>* I: No dh_python but pycompat file available
>* I: Place Python applications in private directory
>* P: Python extension but no -dbg package
>
>If there is consensus on this, I could work on these tags and
>eventually submitting to Lintian maintainers for review. Thoughts?
>
>[1] http://lintian.debian.org/tags.html

Since we currently lack anything like a maintained Python policy, I think
this is putting the cart before the horse.  Particularly any Error level
tags should, IMO, have some basis in policy.

Scott K