Re: PyGTK and Python 2.6

Dear David,

(Others: please verify that all I've said below is correct).

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:56:22PM +0000, David D Lowe wrote:
> Epidermis is programmed in Python 2.6. I was surprised to find that
> Python 2.6 is not included in Debian unstable, but only in the
> experimental repositories. Unfortunately, Epidermis still doesn't work
> on Debian. It seems python-gtk2 and other essential packages for
> Epidermis have not been upgraded to Python 2.6 in any of Debian's
> repositories.
>
> Am I missing something? Can I get "import gtk" to work under Python
> 2.6 on Debian? Should I try to port Epidermis back to Python 2.5 or
> should I wait for Python 2.6 to be fully supported in Debian
> experimental or unstable?
>
> I'm not looking for a definitive answer, (unless there is one!), just
> advice. Thank you.

Your analysis is totally correct. Should you want to use python-gtk2
based programs with Python 2.6, you would have to successively build
all of it's reverse dependencies with Python 2.6, and then build
python-gtk2 and use these custom built packages for your program. To
make it more clear,

$ apt-cache depends python-gtk2
[snipped output]
  Depends: python-cairo
  Depends: python-gobject
  Depends: python-numpy

So, you would at least need to rebuild the above packages with Python
2.6, and then use these custom built package to allow Epidermis to
work.

If porting Epidermis to Python 2.5 would be an easier task, it would
obviate the need to rebuild the above packages.

Please do ask if you have further questions; I'll do my best to help.

Kumar
--
Writing non-free software is not an ethically legitimate activity,
so if people who do this run into trouble, that's good!  All businesses