Re: docutils: 0.6, rst2man/rst2odt obsoleted, RFH

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:

> I've been updating python-docutils to version 0.6. This version
> includes the separate man page and ODT writers that were previously
> packaged by Ben Finney and Michael Schutte, so I've made it
> conflict/provide/replace them, and put their maintainers in the
> Uploaders (I hope you don't mind).

Fine by me. It's quite proper that the ‘docutils-writer-foo’ package
(FSVO ‘foo’) becomes obsolete as the ‘foo’ writer gets merged into the
Docutils core.

> If nobody objects to this arrangement, I'll ask for the separate
> writers to be removed from testing when python-docutils is otherwise
> ready to migrate (it won't migrate normally, since the separate
> writers would become uninstallable). I don't think we need
> transitional packages, since the separate writers have always depended
> on python-docutils anyway.

The ‘rst2odt’ and ‘rst2man’ packages should stay in some form, I think.
That's the end-user package that people are generally looking for when
they want the writer.

Perhaps ‘docutils’ 0.6 should ‘Provides: rst2man, rst2odt’ or the like?

> Unrelated to 0.6, I've been thinking about handing over
> python-docutils to someone else - I hardly use it myself, and I'm not
> really in touch with upstream, so I'd welcome a takeover from anyone
> who can give it more attention than me.

The package metadata (as of ‘docutils’ version 0.5-5) has:

    Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    Uploaders: martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org>, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>

Is that sufficient, or were you wanting a different arrangement?

--
 \           “Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to |
  `\                                               think.” —Niels Bohr |