Re: Python 2.6 transition update

Dear Yaroslav,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:01:05PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Wow... no replies in this imho important thread...

Yes, even I was a tad surprised. Thanks for the message.

> Thanks for starting the roll.  Imho numpy/scipy and then any other
> python- with binary modules and not absent rdepends should be indeed
> rebuilt with 2.6 and installed in the (ch)root to verify if any other
> 2.6 package dependent on them not only builds but at least imports.

I did that. I rebuilt these packages with python 2.6, and used them in
my chroot for the test. numpy.test() works fine using Python 2.6.

> Module name should be easy to figure out in many cases - for most of
> them since due to policy's "should" iirc rule module name should be
> actual suffix of the "python-" package name.  If it does imports fine I
> would look for module.test and if present -- run it.  That would imho be
> very valuable information for package maintainers... it might even be
> worth to setup some temporary repository with builds of the packages
> with binary extensions (e.g numpy) for 2.6 so that anyone willing to
> troubleshoot his dependent package for 2.6 compatibility could use
> prebuilt packages from there instead of manual redoing what you
> are doing ;-)

If needed, I can offer builds of python-numpy (or whatever package)
with python 2.6. Unfortunately, I am using a custom python-central as
well in my chroot, since python-numpy and python-imaging seem to be
affected by bug #547565; some other workarounds might work, I am not
sure.

In any case, there are only 9 packages remaining with patches, and 4
without patches (of which one has been uploaded and actually supports
python 2.6), and one pending upload. I think it's time we uploaded
python 2.6 to main, and binNMU the important packages mentioned above
and proceed to fix the remaining issues.

So, Debian Python, could you please upload python2.6 to unstable?

Thanks!

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah