Endianness detection change on numpy

Dear Debian Pythoners,

Due to a change in the endianness detection in Python, several new
problems have started to occur. Initially, it refused to build on
several architectures due to the new detection scheme, which failed to
handle some CPU cases[0]; this was fixed by forcing it to use
endian.h. Now, the reverse dependencies do not build on the same
architectures due to the same reason (see #544291[1] for example).

The fix is simple: either their new npy_endian.h method is broken,
since it does not attempt to find the endian.h present on all Debian
machines, or I have not figured out how to force the use of
endian.h. A simple workaround I'd suggest is to path the npy_endian.h
provided to force the use of endian.h, for that is the most general
way and sure to work on all Debian systems. However, before resorting
to patching, I wanted know if someone can suggest a more elegant
method to get around this problem, which I haven't been able to figure
out.

Thanks.

Kumar

[0]. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=543538