Re: dh-make-python

Hello Debian Pythonistas,

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 10:11:30PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [David Bremner, 2009-08-01]
> > I was recently chatting with Sandro Tosi on IRC about the
> > non-existance of a python equivalent to dh-make-perl
>
> http://github.com/astraw/stdeb/tree/master

I can see stdeb mentions logilab-devtools in its background
section. Thank you :)

logilab-devtools_ provides a command named lgp that uses metadata
stored in __pkginfo__.py to make (much) easier the job of the Debian
Developer packaging python programs.

Once the thing is set up, we usually type:

  lgp build -d lenny,squeeze,sid,hardy,jaunty

to get packages for all these distributions.

For a description of the __pkginfo__ format, see pkginfo_variables_

As you surely know, packaging is a hot topic in the Python community
at the moment. In case this did not appear on your radars yet, here are
3 PEPs and a couple blog entries:

PEP-345_ Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2
PEP-386_ Changing the version comparison module in Distutils
PEP-376_ Changing the .egg-info structure

`Words on distribute`_ by Tarke Ziade
`The Configuration Management Problem`_ by myself <shameless plug!>

Hope this helps converging towards efficient packaging for all,