Re: Presentation and some questions/remarks about numpy/scipy packages

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>> Hi David!
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a developer of numpy and scipy, and I would be interested in
>>> helping numpy/scipy debian packages to be better on both Debian and
>>> Ubuntu. As a user of both Debian and Ubuntu, and one of the  main
>>> developer working on build issues for numpy/scipy, I think I can be
>>> useful :)
>>
>> I am really glad you are interested in the packaging. Welcome! :)
>>
>> Do you know how to build it from our svn? If not, feel free to ask.
>
> Well, I know how to build a debian package from source and how to fix
> some issues, but I am not familiar with a lot of tools around. Is
> there a simple guideline about this ?

Our page is here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam

and in particular I wrote this howto:

http://wiki.debian.org/PAPT_Howto

E.g. the section Building the package. Btw, feel free to update the
PythonModulesTeam page above with instructions how to build the
package, that would be really useful.

>> Since python-sphinx 0.5 is in unstable now, do you think we should
>> build with the docs as they are in the debian packaging svn? I simply
>> used numpy svn and copied the doc directory into the tarball, see the
>> debian/rules.
>
> Doc is a pain to deal with with distutils, generally. I don't know
> what's the doc status in 1.2 (the documentation infrastructure is one
> of the big change since 1.2 for the upcoming 1.3).
>
> I think we can ignore doc changes for 1.2*, and focus on 1.3, since we
> would need to change anyway for 1.3.

Ok, so should I leave the current tarball, as you can see, I am using
svn -r6221:

get-orig-source:
   wget http://qa.debian.org/watch/sf.php/numpy/numpy-1.2.1.tar.gz; \
   tar xzf numpy-1.2.1.tar.gz; \
   cd numpy-1.2.1; \
   svn export -r6221 http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk/doc; \
   cd ..; \
   tar czf python-numpy_1.2.1.ds.orig.tar.gz numpy-1.2.1; \
   rm -rf numpy-1.2.1 numpy-1.2.1.tar.gz

>> Thanks for the tip --- I think there was some reason for this
>> conflict, but I can't remember now. Let's wait a bit what other think
>> here.
>
> According to the debian/changelog file and the related bug on debian
> bug tracker, this was to avoid depending on ATLAS at link stage. This
> can be done by the command above - which is not really documented.
> Generally, the numpy build system is a bit arcane and 'magic'. In the
> short term, I hope to clarify most of oddities for easier packaging
> (not just Debian, BTW).

Thanks, that's excellent.

Ondrej