Re: Presentation and some questions/remarks about numpy/scipy packages

Hi David!

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a developer of numpy and scipy, and I would be interested in
> helping numpy/scipy debian packages to be better on both Debian and
> Ubuntu. As a user of both Debian and Ubuntu, and one of the  main
> developer working on build issues for numpy/scipy, I think I can be
> useful :)

I am really glad you are interested in the packaging. Welcome! :)

Do you know how to build it from our svn? If not, feel free to ask.

Since python-sphinx 0.5 is in unstable now, do you think we should
build with the docs as they are in the debian packaging svn? I simply
used numpy svn and copied the doc directory into the tarball, see the
debian/rules.

> I looked at the recent debian packaging (current trunk), and I noticed
> two things which I think are mistakes, or at least seem strange:
>
>  - build-depends has a depdency on libfftw3-dev. Numpy does not use
> FFTW at all, and never had to my knowledge, at least from numpy 0.9.8
> (almost 3 years ago).

I think it could probably be just removed, unless someone objects.

>  - build-conflicts against atlas. I guess this is to avoid explicitely
> linking against ATLAS - this can be avoided easily without the
> build-conflicts which is a bit of a pain:
>
> ATLAS=None python setup.py build
>
> should build numpy (and scipy) without ATLAS, even if atlas is detected.

Thanks for the tip --- I think there was some reason for this
conflict, but I can't remember now. Let's wait a bit what other think
here.

Ondrej