Re: /usr/local is loved by Debian Python people?

ho ho -- thank you Guy!

so, here it is:
,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
| staff: Allows users to add local modifications to the system (/usr/local,       |
| /home) without needing root privileges. Compare with group "adm", which is more |
| related to monitoring/security.                                                 |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Hence, Debian, by design (and by policy), allows "users" to modify the
system...  So 'staff' group is much broader than notion of 'Administrator',
hence, it might be unsafe to "add a user to staff group without ability to
prevent default behavior of the system to use the content of
/usr/local".

NB: actually on a freshly installed lenny system:

$> ls -ld /home
4 drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 2009-01-03 16:23 /home/

and I don't see actual need for 'staff' to modify /home, since staff
group is not authorized to add users.

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark