Re: please test the numpy package

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> I really want it in unstable. It's because the new scipy won't build
>> without this upload etc. and many people are just waiting for it. It's
>> a legitimate question though, but so far I understood that this is
>> what unstable is for. Otherwise people will have to move from unstable
>> to experimental to get the latest packages. Is this what we want? I
>> prefer it in unstable, but I am open to other opinions.
>
> I didn't look at the package, but if I remember right a lot of packages depend
> on numpy, so I would wait with an upload until Lenny is released definitely,
> except you're absolutely sure that the new version won't break other packages
> in unstable and won't mess up the migration path fro unstable to testing for
> them in case there's something to fix. People who want to or need to use the
> package in the meantime can use experimental, that's what experimental is for.

Well, one can never be sure it won't mess up anything. In fact, I
think one can be sure that by every upload of new upstream, there will
be something that breaks, by definition.

So if I understand it well, normally this is what unstable is for, but
once it is frozen, one should use experimental for new upstream
uploads?

Ondrej