Re: Python-webpy: unnecessary Recommends?

[Andrew Malcolmson, 2009-01-08]
> I am installing Pylons in Aptitude and noticed that MySQL is one of
> the automatic dependencies to be installed.  It appears that the
> responsible package is python-webpy which recommends python-mysqldb.

python-mysqldb depends on libmysqlclient15off so it should not install
MySQL for you, python-mysqldb only suggests mysql-server-5.0 | mysql-server

That said, I agree, python-mysqldb should be replaced with:

 python (>= 2.5) | python-pysqlite2 | python-pysqlite1.1 | python-sqlite | python-psycopg2 | python-mysqldb | python-kinterbasdb

and README.Debian should mention that one should install one of above
packages (depending on which DB is used)

> Webpy does not require a database connection.   Therefore I believe
> the correct dependency is Suggests.

apparently it uses one of: SQLite, PostgreSQL, Firebird, MySQL, Oracle
to store it's data (see webpy-0.310/web/db.py)

> Should I file a bug report for this?  I never reported an issue like
> this so I want to be sure I'm getting this right.

please report it (try `reportbug webpy`)

you can point webpy's maintainer to this mail (it will appear on [1])

> BTW: I'm also not sure why Pylons depends on webpy.  Webpy isn't
> mentioned in the Pylons Install Guide

python-pylons does not depend on python-webpy

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/python-modules-team/2009-January/thread.html