Re: FHS location for Python libraries as locally-compiled bytecode (was: debhelper 7 and python-central)

Le mercredi 21 mai 2008 à 08:59 +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :
> I don't see that it leads to storing the compiled programs to live
> under /var/, rather than /usr/ which to my mind is more appropriate
> for compiled versions of programs installed by the package manager,
> which don't change except through explicit sysadmin action to change
> them.

At least python-support is not the only package to do that. On my
system, the following directories are generated upon package
installation and will not change in other situations:
        /var/lib/aspell
        /var/lib/defoma
        /var/lib/dictionaries-common
        /var/lib/doc-base
        /var/lib/gconf
        /var/lib/iceweasel
        /var/lib/initramfs-tools
        /var/lib/libxml-sax-perl
        /var/lib/menu-xdg
        /var/lib/python-support
        /var/lib/scrollkeeper
        /var/lib/tex-common
        /var/lib/texmf
        /var/lib/usbutils
        /var/lib/vim
        /var/lib/xml-core
        /var/cache/app-install
        /var/cache/dictionaries-common
        /var/cache/fontconfig

You can see that python-support does nothing more than following current
practice. Therefore the decision of moving these files to some place
in /usr should probably be made as a whole, not for a single package.

 .''`.