Re: [pkg-boost-devel] Boost.Python: Build and Install with Python 2.4 and 2.5?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:04:26PM -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:17:24PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Decorate only the shared library names with the python versions, and retain
> > the current names for the .a files and .so symlinks - with two separate -dev
> > packages that conflict with one another?

> > That still prevents anyone from packaging an extension that builds for both
> > python2.4 and python2.5 at once using Boost.Python, but I think it solves
> > all the other drawbacks of the other solutions you suggested.

> Indeed.  Do you think this is a serious restriction?  Given that
> Debian likes to package extensions for all python versions, I tend to
> think it will become a problem.

I think it's a tolerable restriction.  Clearly there are no packages using
Boost.Python today to build for more than one version of python, so it's of
course not a regression in any case; and we don't *need* all python
extensions to be built for all python versions, it just makes transitions
easier the more there are.